Traveling in a Winnebago

Traveling in a Winnebago
Traveling in a Winnebago

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Trip to Florida Hospital

I should change the name of the blog to Tom & Bev's adventure. As I mentioned before Bev and I have been suffering with colds we caught at Parris Island from the throngs of people there. I thought we were getting better when we both took a turn for the worse.

Even though Bev didn't feel very well she still was out every day Line Dancing while I stayed home moaning "I'm - to - sick - to - reach - the - remote". I guess Bev's activity kept her from getting as bad as I did. The cold settled in my lungs and I was having a problem breathing. At night I was not able to sleep, I couldn't stop coughing and couldn't breath.

Monday morning I felt so bad I decided to go to a walk-in clinic near us. Now our health insurance wouldn't pay unless I went to a Hospital Emergency Room but I was close to the clinic so I went anyway. As I was filling out the forms I saw the posted rates and almost passed out. The charge to see a doctor was $495.00 and the prices went up from there. It would have cost me a fortune so I left and headed back to the camper with a stop at CVS for more drugs.

At the camper I started feeling worse, light headed, dizzy so I checked Garmin for the closest Hospital. I was only 10 miles or so from the Florida Hospital so off we went. We were really expecting a miserable time at the ER because of our past experiences (Bev brought a book figuring she could read the hole thing while we were there). In the past I have waited forever in a little room filled with sick people and screaming kids.

To our surprise, when we arrived it was like going into a spa. Entering the ER we were met by a concierge who asked what my problem was. She then sent me directly to an intake nurse who got my vitals and why I was there. I asked her is she needed insurance information and she said no, they will get that later (she said they were medical people). Once she had my information and vitals she sent us to a waiting room that looked more like we were in a spa than an Emergency Room. There were a few people there but they were quickly taken and before I knew it I was taken into an exam room. I figured I would be in there for hours before a doctor would seem me but to my amazement a doctor quickly arrive and proceeded to check me out.

They decided to do a breathing treatment and quickly got me in for a chest x-ray. The breathing treatment really helped and the chest x-ray showed I didn't have pneumonia. I had a bad case of Bronchitis. They gave me a prescription and after paying my $50.00 co-pay we were on our way. From the time we left the camper to our return was only 3 hours and that included a stop at the pharmacy.

I was such a great experience I almost wanted to stay there for a few days to get their great care.

I learned one thing. Never go to the Hospital with someone that has a new cell phone with a camera. Bev loves her phone and just had to take pictures of the experience.

This is the entry way to the ER.



I'm - to - sick - to - reach - the - remote.


Oh it is great to breath!

I have to admit it was a good experience but I would rather have been at Disney World!

Over the last couple of days we both have been feeling a lot better. I have been going for walks and riding my bike all over the campground. I love riding by and checking out the RVs. Bev has been Line Dancing every day and helping out with Bingo in the evening.

Hopefully we can spend some time checking out the area and eating out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment