Traveling in a Winnebago

Traveling in a Winnebago
Traveling in a Winnebago

Friday, October 26, 2012

Good-by Williamsburg on to Advance, NC

Good-by Williamsburg, we had a great time and we will return.

Tuesday 10/23 we were up early and on the road by 9:00 am. We headed west on I-64, picked up I-295 south, crossed over to I-85 picking up some gas along the way. We followed I-85 all the way to Lexington, NC where we picked up U.S. Highway 64 west for about 8 miles to Forest Lake Thousand Trails Campground, Advance, NC.

We stopped at Flying J along the way to fill our propane tank and get more gas.  Flying J has an RV island where you can get propane, gas, water, and dump your tanks which is convenient but it's not easy to pay. Pilot owns Flying J and I have a loyalty card for both which gives me a discount off gas but Flying J is getting to be a real pain. (I only use Flying J when I need propane otherwise I use Pilot.)

At Flying J you have to walk from the fuel island to the store and wait in line to pre-pay for the gas. That means you have to guess how much fuel you will use and charge that amount to your card. Then you walk back out to the pumps (the fuel island is not very close) and fill your tank. Now you have to walk back to the store and wait in line again to get a receipt. They will usually bill you for only what you used not the amount you first pre-paid however every now and then someone will get charged for the pre-paid amount causing them to fight with the credit card company and Flying J to get it straightened out. That has not happened to us but it has to people we know.

It was a very easy 5 hour drive which is the maximum distance I can handle in a days drive. I use to like driving around the clock but those days are gone. I much rather have a two hour or less drive from site to site.

When we arrived we were concerned because the dirt roads through the campground were narrow and twisting. I'm glad we don't have a 42 foot class "A".


We unhooked the car at the registration office and drove the car all through the Campground looking for a site. We finally did find a great site though overlooking the lake.




Once I connected the utilities and of course the Direct TV we are home.  It's now time for my traditional beer and relax for the rest of the day.

There is a lot going on at this campground including a costume contest Saturday for the Kids, Adults, and of course their furry friends. Kids will trick-or-treat Saturday evening so we stocked up on candy. Hopefully there will be candy left for me.

Bev is excited because there is a Flee Market here Saturday that she signed up for. This week we haven't traveled around because Bev is hard at work crafting and beading for the Flee Market. Oh how she loves to craft.

Next week we will check out the area. Leaf peeping is about over here because the color is gone. I don't think there was much color around here because what we did see was very muted.

We are here for two weeks before we start working our way south following the sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment