Traveling in a Winnebago

Traveling in a Winnebago
Traveling in a Winnebago

Monday, February 20, 2012

Ocala National Forest, Pat's Island, and The Yearling Trail

Saturday 2/18 we took a ride to the Ocala National Forest. We headed out Highway 44 west to Highway 19 north into the Ocala National Forest. The scenery was a lot different, we were use to Orange Groves after Orange Groves but not a one to be found on this trip. It was nice to ride on open highways through the pine forests.



Our first stop was at the visitor center located in the old Pitman Residence which was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1938. It originally served as a home for the state game officer for the Ocala National Forest. It has been used by the Forest Service as an office and laboratory. The residence is recorded as a Florida Historic Site. It represents a landmark "still in use", and the CCC's place in Florida History.



Inside the visitor center we watched a great video on the Black Bears in Florida and their habitats. I was surprised to learn there are so many bears in Florida.

We continued up the road until we came to Pat's Island and The Yearling Trail. Pat's Island is one of the most popular historic attractions in the Ocala National Forest. The area was named after it's first postmaster, Patrick Smith, who settled there in the 1840s.

Much of the land bounded by the St. Johns and Ocklawaha rivers consists of the largest concentration of sand pine scrub in the world. Pioneers who settled in these areas called them islands because a sea of scrub surrounded them. Human habitation on the island peaked before the turn of the 20th century when about a dozen families sought to eke out a living on the 1400 acre island. A living was made from farming, running woods cattle and hogs, hunting, fishing, and of course making moonshine whisky.

Today you can visit Pat's Island via the Yearling Trail. The trailhead is located on SRT 19 across from the Silver Glen Springs entrance. From there you can hike up to 6 mies visiting various sites of historical significance and enjoy the natural beauty of the island.



The author Majorie Kinnan Rawlings was fascinated by the beauty of the island and the colorful lifestyle of its inhabitants. She stayed with the last two residences, Calvin and Mary Long in October 1933.

Marjorie recorded many stories told by the Longs including the one Calvin told about an orphaned deer he raised from a fawn. These stories gave her the idea for the Pulitzer Prize winning novel "The Yearling". The novel was made into a movie staring Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, and Claude Jarman, Jr. and was filmed on location.

Of course Bev and I had to hike up the trail but we didn't complete the whole 6 miles.




 You may wonder why I took a photo of Bev from behind. The truth of the matter is I could not keep up with her. I struggled down the path to trying to catch her but she just moves too fast. For a lady with short legs she really moves.

What happened to me? I can't even keep up with a little lady? I use to be proud of my physical fitness and could even out run my grand children. When did I get so fat, lazy, and out of shape? I can't keep going on like this, something must change.

I am starting today to lose weight and get back in shape. I have tried in the past and failed so I am posting this goal in the blog. I will be too embarrassed if I don't succeed. WISH ME LUCK!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom! I feel your pain. I have been using loseit.com since September and really like the program. I works for me. Exercise is the key to lose weight and eat well. I give it two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete